Monday, September 2, 2013

Summer Adventures

Happy Labor Day! The unofficial end of summer is bittersweet; I love the fall (I was an autumn baby) and all it brings, but this summer has been amazing, so I can't help but be a little sad to see it go.

For a while now, I have had the worst case of wanderlust. I want to go everywhere and see everything; I want to explore the world. However, because of some medical issues and finances (law school is expensive), I can't really go very far from home. I'm hoping that'll change in the future, but this summer, I needed a way to sate my lust. As it turns out, local adventuring was the way to go.

Bayard Cutting Arboretum in Great River
 
Long Island, where I live, is rich in history, culture, and surprisingly affordable things to do. The surrounding area is great too; it just tends to be a lot more expensive, especially in terms of travel costs. (Parking costs in NYC can be really high, and the last time I took the train into Manhattan about six months ago, it was $16 for a round-trip ticket. That doesn't include transportation once you get into the City, admission fees, or food costs, if you spend the day.) I decided to devote my summer to finding mostly free and cheap (and local) things for my boyfriend and I to do, and I think I did pretty well. This summer, we went all over.

"Butterfly Zoo"at the Main Street Nursery in Huntington
 
Our adventures started on Memorial Day with the Jones Beach Air Show. If you've never seen an air show before, it's basically a bunch of planes doing lots of different types of stunts - flying in formation, skywriting, flying upside-down, etc. It's the type of thing you don't normally see outside of military movies. This air show had both civilian and military people in the air, but unfortunately, no one from the U.S. military this year due to spending cuts.
 
Air Show at Jones Beach
 
Over the 4th of July weekend, besides going to the beach, we went to Belmont Lake State Park for paddle-boating. It was gorgeous out on the lake, and I had a lot of fun. Paddle-boating is particularly awesome for me because it's something I can do even with my crazy joints; the way the boat is structured, it offloads the pressure on my ankles. Thankfully, the boat's also really simple to guide through the water.
 
On the water at Belmont Lake State Park in Babylon

One of my favorite trips was out for lunch on the Nautical Mile in Freeport. We went to a really dive-y place known as Jeremy's Ale House, and when I say dive-y, I mean there were bras hanging from the ceiling and everything was served on paper or styrofoam. But the food was out of this world! Like, seriously, I'm still craving the Cajun breaded fried shrimp we got; it was hands down THE best shrimp I'd ever had. The Manhattan clam chowder was phenomenal, as was the fried calamari legs starter that we got - every piece was perfectly cooked. The food was extremely reasonably priced to boot, and we're definitely going back soon.

Fried shrimp OF MY DREAMS! from Jeremy's Ale House in Freeport

I also headed off the Island into the Bronx for the day a few weeks ago, to explore the Bronx Zoo. I've been going there since I was a little girl; my aunts used to take my sister and I out there for the day. We always got home exhausted from all of the walking, but since I can no longer walk those sorts of distances, I rented a wheelchair after we arrived. We spent a lot of time at the tiger exhibit and got to see a snow leopard the zoo is borrowing from zoo in Pakistan, plus (obviously) a whole bunch of other animals. My favorite animal at the zoo didn't seem to be feeling very social that day, unfortunately. He was hiding so that you couldn't really see his face, but... I still love red pandas.

C.V. Starr Tiger Valley at the Bronx Zoo

Other places we went this summer included Robert Moses State Park (where we were surprised by a deer running across the beach at sunset), Crab Meadow Beach (for a first birthday party), Bayard Cutting Arboretum (where we saw a huge snapping turtle and baby swans), Heckscher State Park, Clark Botanical Gardens, the Hicksville Gregory Museum (which had dinosaur eggs and lots of fossils), and the Gibson-Mack-Holt House (where I crazily found my father's original newborn picture - I had no idea they got the pictures from the hospital he was born in).

On Saturday, I rounded out my summer by hitting the Labor Day Sales at a local outlet center... which just happened to be holding a free summer concert series. We decided to stay for the last concert, which featured Owl City.

Owl City performing a free Labor Day Weekend concert in Deer Park
 
All in all, it's been a fantastic summer. What did you do/where did you go this summer? Did you get to travel, either just locally or far, far away?

No comments:

Post a Comment