Wednesday, June 12, 2013

An Eggcellent Adventure: Sunny Side Smashed

Hello!

Please allow me to introduce myself; I'm Lauren, the girl-behind-the-curtain at Sunny Side Smashed. I'm starting this blog as an outlet for the ridiculous amounts of thoughts in my head, because... well, I think. A lot. About everything. Lately, more and more often, I find myself thinking about my life and the lives of my fellow millennials, currently stuck in that wonderful and terrible stage of life most aptly described as "being a twentysomething."

You can find out more about me by clicking on About above, but right now, I'd like to explain where the name Sunny Side Smashed came from. Sunny Side Smashed is a metaphor that came to mind while I was thinking about my life and the lives of all the other people I know that are currently in their twenties.

Think about it. First, you work really, really hard to make the perfect sunny side up fried egg. It looks beautiful, sitting there in there in the pan, and you can't help being a bit proud of it. Then, since the egg obviously does you no good just sitting there, you get out your spatula and prepare to transfer it to a plate. Of course, you aren't perfect. You try to be as graceful as possible, but maybe you forgot to put down non-stick spray or maybe you're just a klutz - but either way, your egg arrives on your plate with a smashed yolk that is now oozing everywhere. It is not pretty, but it's edible. You can't help but feel a bit disappointed, but hey, it's food, right? It does its job of providing you with nourishment, and you go on with your life.

As a teenager, just about everyone I knew had high hopes for their future. We all thought our lives were going to turn out a certain way, that we'd do this or do that or do something else, and in the end, even if things weren't exactly as we'd planned, they'd come close. Your twenties are when it hits you like a fastball to the face that your plans mean virtually nothing in reality; it's when your perfect sunny side up egg gets smashed. It's when you really start to understand that life is what happens while you're busy making other plans. Of course, it's also when you come to realize that even though this is disappointing, uncomfortable, and/or unpleasant, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

That is the philosophy I try to live by - that life isn't always pretty and sometimes it absolutely sucks - but you keep going. You won't always have even the faintest idea of what you're doing, you won't always do or say the right thing, and what you thought you wanted might end up being what you don't want, but you'll survive. And sometimes, life will be wonderful.

Sunny Side Smashed will undoubtedly be a blog built around my experiences and thoughts as a twentysomething. I'm likely to write about things relevant to life as a twentysomething and things that don't have anything to do with being a twentysomething at all. You might find anything from a post on my reaction to a current news story to a post talking about my experience trying online dating. If you can deal with a little randomness, then please, sit down, stay a while, and share your thoughts! I'm a curious person by nature, so I love hearing about what other people are thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment